Will,

It is not a good idea to have sensitive information in
free text. If you do, it should not go to  "general
circulation", right?

How can one extract such info from free text? One way
is to remove such words from free text files using a
macro of some sort. "FInd and replace" can be used to
remove words like HIV with a blank?

There cannot be an automated solution to this, unless
it is cutting edge! ( ..or so we like to think to
cover our ignorance!)

I wonder if we have adequate knowledge as to what
constitutes "sensitive information" to patients. A
good study is needed....

Nandalal