That is the reason for the patient consent in the HIPAA regulations.  In
my opinion, the
patient would need to review the data to approve its release.  The usual
escape clause
is for the data to be used in the normal care of the patient  But if it
is for some
other purpose, then it needs specific patient consent.   But a local
HIPAA board
should be able to provide more precise guidance.   The general accurate
suppression
of sensitive information would seem to me to be impossible.

Dave