Hi all,

I agree that we need WebGL support in JavaFX. Recently, I made some
experiments with integrating the Qt based WebView/WebEngine into JavaFX via
synchronized shared memory buffers (see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlIrY1SlNM4 and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXG77O2MqQ).

what can i do as a lowly developer to help?

The implementation is highly experimental and there is a lot of work to do.
Any help is highly appreciated! The advantage compared to the
JavaFX WebKit project is that it is not necessary to fork WebKit. The
downside is that the integration is not as good. Updating to a new
versionof Qt WebView/WebEngine, however, is relatively easy since I'm using
a QPainter that draws to a shared memory buffer. JavaFX gets access to the
buffer via JNI. What concerns me is the limited API to directly draw
buffers without performing too much copying.

Therefore, *we need a public equivalent of NGExternalNode* (used by
SwingNode, integrates Swing into JavaFX). Kevin, do you think this is
realistic for JavaFX 9?

Anyway, here is a link to the github repo: https://github.com/miho/VFXWebKit

Regards,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Math. Michael Hoffer

Twitter: @mihosoft
Webpage: www.mihosoft.eu

Goethe-Zentrum für Wissenschaftliches Rechnen (G-CSC)
Goethe-Universität
Kettenhofweg 139
60325 Frankfurt am Main
phone: +49 69 798 25254