2009/2/11 Alon Bar-Lev <alon.bar...@gmail.com>:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009 14:23:30 Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> Do we have to split libscreader and pcsc-screader?
>
> I wish to separate between a single Microsoft oriented application API and
> the reader framework. This will enable other application APIs to use
> the same framework without conflict.
> It will also allow application to communicate with reader drivers directly,
> and
> perform various of extra operations, such as loading firmware or initialize.
>
>> If we do then we will have to keep the interface between them stable.
>
> This is the plan.
>
>> If it is the same project we can easily change the interface since
>> that would be an internal interface (with no stability guarantee and
>> then more freeness).
>
> I think that providing a clean interface between the components is
> the key for success. As it will also force a clean PC/SC implementation.
>
>> If you want to have an openct-screader it can also be included in the
>> same project using the same "internal" interface.
>
> I thought of using the stable API to implement some other application APIs,
> and maybe convince developers who accessed the reader directly to use
> the new infrastructure (GnuPG, coolkey etc).

It may be hard to convince the GnuPG project. GnuPG already uses PC/SC
so I do not see any advantage to switch to another API.

Coolkey is also using PC/SC. And the code is working on Windows and Mac OS X.

You clearly propose to replace the PC/SC API with something different, right?
And migrate applications (GnuPG, coolkey, etc.) to this new API? And
OpenSC also?

> What do you think about the other tasks/assumptions?

No problem wth the other tasks.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau