On Sep 27, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Martin Paljak <mar...@paljak.pri.ee> wrote:
>> Does this actually break anything in real life, other than make distcheck?
>
> Yes. Whatever broken during distcheck will probably break somewhere.
> Major check of distcheck is separate build directory, this is used by
> many builders.
OK.

>>> But... the only dependency we require is xsltproc, so maybe we can
>>> rethink this... Provided you agree that building the package with
>>> --enable-doc or --enable-man requires xsltproc available on build
>>> machine, we can remove all this useless generation and hacks.
>>
>> I think it is not a huge problem to require xsltproc, it is quite common and
>> small. What bothers me more is docbook-xsl. But the target audience of
>> people who run make dist and who run make install is different.
>> But maybe there's more in the autotools philosophy that I don't fully get.
>
> OK I will modify the build so that the file will be generated on
> builder. Much simpler!
Will this get rid of the symlink magic, and allow:

make dist: require xsltproc, docbook-xsl, don't require playing with symlinks
(assumes/requires running from version control checkout)
make, make install: don't require xsltproc and docbook-xsl, use the
pre-generated man files.

>> As the only documentation other than man pages is tools.html (should that be
>> placed on the  website somewhere?) one of --enable-doc or --enable-man is
>> redundant.
>
> I do not follow...
> Do you want to remove the tools.html from build?
> Or install both man and htmls using one option?
> I don't think that installing to mandir and htmldir should be enforced
> as single option.
I did not notice that the tools.html is distributed (dist_html_DATA).

But does it make sense to install two competing copies of tool usage options?
If you use the tools, you use the command line, thus using man should be a
known activity.

If using a web browser, wiki has much more detailed information than in the
htmlified man pages copy.

--
@MartinPaljak.net
+3725156495