On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Martin Paljak <mar...@paljak.pri.ee> wrote:

>>> I think it is not a huge problem to require xsltproc, it is quite common
>>> and small. What bothers me more is docbook-xsl. But the target audience of
>>> people who run make dist and who run make install is different.
>>> But maybe there's more in the autotools philosophy that I don't fully get.
>>
>> OK I will modify the build so that the file will be generated on
>> builder. Much simpler!
> Will this get rid of the symlink magic, and allow:
>
> make dist: require xsltproc, docbook-xsl, don't require playing with symlinks
> (assumes/requires running from version control checkout)

make dist *WILL NOT* require xsltproc, docbook-xsl.
It will actually only distribute the sources, no generation of files.

> make, make install: don't require xsltproc and docbook-xsl, use the
> pre-generated man files.

make *WILL* require xsltproc and docbook-xsl if and only if
--enable-man and/or --enable-doc is specified at configure.

If you want to avoid xsltproc dependency from make install, we back to
square one (current trunk).

>>> As the only documentation other than man pages is tools.html (should that
>>> be placed on the  website somewhere?) one of --enable-doc or --enable-man
>>> is redundant.
>>
>> I do not follow...
>> Do you want to remove the tools.html from build?
>> Or install both man and htmls using one option?
>> I don't think that installing to mandir and htmldir should be enforced
>> as single option.
> I did not notice that the tools.html is distributed (dist_html_DATA).
>
> But does it make sense to install two competing copies of tool usage options?
> If you use the tools, you use the command line, thus using man should be a
> known activity.
>
> If using a web browser, wiki has much more detailed information than in the
> htmlified man pages copy.

Your call... :)