Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> I wonder what we can or should do to improve the state of the project.

I think it's clear that only very few entities are putting resources
into the project.

> there hasn't been any real discussion, no back and forth about the
> merrits of the different proposals, and no convergence on one
> option or decission by anyone.

I think even this is way too much to expect from those who do put
resources into the project. Noone who is contributing seems to have
much experience from hosting, so discussion about hosting is really
difficult. (I may have plenty of experience, but I don't contribute
very much to the project.)

> It seems to me the state of the project is defunct: while there are
> requests, proposals, options and offerings, we are not getting
> towards a decission or action it seems, as noone decides anything
> or gets people to agree or to do things.

There's a fairly fundamental disagreement between development styles.
I e.g. advocate security-conscious development and great results,
even if slow, while everyone else who has spoken on that matter
advocates fast change with perhaps less importance on technical
quality and elegance.

It's sad that less-than-great results is acceptable in open source
under any circumstance, but since I'm not even putting development
resources into the project it doesn't matter at all what I think
about that.

IMO it's largely a waste of time to migrate away from an existing
working system unless the services really can not be updated in
place.

//Peter