> Why? That's not that important. You can not know now
> what other distros will be good for. It could be that
> there is a distro you can put in your coffee-cup and
> that coffee-cup communicates with the computer you
> are in front of - so probably there is not enough
> space for ksh in such a distro at the first moment.

Why??? Because backward as well as forward compatbility is one of the things
that makes Solaris so great to work with and work on. It's one of Solaris core
strengths, one that clearly differentiates it from everybody else out there
(well, not everybody, HP and SGI also go through great pains and at great
lengths to maintain compatibility).

That sentence should really read: it's one of the strengths that
differenetiates (Open)Solaris from all the other OpenSource / Freeware
alternatives.

And now OpenSolaris has this great chance, this great opportunity, to not only
be extended but be backwards and forwards compatible with Solaris; it would
really be a shame to just throw that out of the window for the sake of
Linux-like "progress". Even *BSD doesn't do something like that.

> There are at least two meanings of stability - keep
> old things working and let things work without
> problems. My focus is at the second variant, sure you
> are right.

But there can be no true stability without one depending on the other in some
way!

> Some things can not be replaced. But at least I do
> not see the need to replace it with compatible parts
> to Solaris 10. I see the need to find functional
> equivalent things. I hope those parts that need to be
> replaced are not too specific to the core of
> OpenSolaris. Any closed source application (as ksh)
> that can not be released to open source will die the
> dead of un-importance for the (outside SUN-) open
> source developers. Or you have to follow the
> Mozilla-history and do the task of "open source" it
> at SUN.

This is really not right -- this is the mindset that would just go about
breaking compatibilty for no reason other than to do it.