On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, TJ Yang wrote:
> Previously, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> >
> > The project goal states
> >
> > "... provide OpenSolaris OS a modern package
> > age management system."
> >

> What will be the right wording of above sentence ?

TJ,

First let me backtrack a bit. In my first reply I didn't realize that
whenever you say "Package Management System" (PMS) you mean a system
that encompasses _both_ a build-system and a binary package management,
auto-update system. I tend to think of these things separately. To me,
a "PMS" is _only_  a binary package management, auto-update system.

Furthermore, in my view these two technologies should be _evaluated_
separately. Last Thursday, for example, I posted this blurb on my weblog:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/eric_boutilier?entry=edification_endeavor_solaris_foss_build

(An HTML-to-text version is also included below.)

It explains how I've decided to plumb the depths of the JDS team's
CBE/pkgbuild, which is and example of a project that focuses strictly
on build-system technology. In other words, CBE/pkgbuild leaves the
development of binary package management up to other projects (such as
pkg-get, Sun Update Connection, TWW, pkgsrc/gensolpkg, or any other
system that does SVR4 binary package management.)

Now back to your question:

> What will be the right wording of above sentence ?

I'd suggest an initial goal statement something like this:

    "... Evaluate and endorse a standard build system(s) for
    OpenSolaris."

Then this separate goal statement:

    "... Evaluate and endorse a standard binary package management,
     auto-update system(s) for OpenSolaris."

I would also put the following limit on both:

    "Only systems that support the Solaris SV4R package standard
    qualify for evaluation."

--Eric

[HTML-to-text version of weblog entry]

Subject: Edification endeavor: Solaris FOSS build system

I've decided to teach myself how to build Solaris [FOSS][1] packages
using the JDS system which is based on [pkgbuild][2] and the [CBE][3].*

Here's what I did today:

  - Did a fresh install of Solaris 10 on [this rig][4]. Chose "Entire
    Distribution", "[DHCP][5]", "[DNS][6]", among other things (see
    [Solaris 10 installation][7]), and everything came up fine. The box
    has an [rtls][8] NIC, which configured fine, and which I connected to
    a [network hub][9] on my [DSL][10] setup.

  - Installed the CBE, Sun Studio Compilers and required patches per
    [these instructions][11].

----
* The motivation to do this came in part from the advent of the JDS
  team's [desktop community plans][12] and the related [getting-started
  info][11] that [Glynn Foster][13] posted on the new [desktop community
  site][14].

    [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSS
    [2]: http://pkgbuild.sf.net
    [3]: