|> Nevertheless, I think the Companion CD concept still has merit. There
|> are lots of customers who have a strong desire for any unsupported
|> open-source software they might use to come from the same vendor that
|> they purchased their platform/service contract from.

I'd word this slightly differently: there is merit in being given the choice
during OS install of "do you want to install freeware as well?".  Where exactly
this freeware comes from, especially for non-Sun distributions, may be up for
debate.

Of course many customers want to know this is "blessed" in some way by the
vendor, but another overlapping set of people just want to get it easily
installed.

Hugh.