--- Felix Schulte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/8/05, Richard L. Hamilton
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Common Desktop Environment (CDE)              No
> > > plans to open source
> >
> > While I realize that's not under your control, has
> anyone approached TOG and
> > the other contributing companies to at least
> consider it?  If on the one hand,
> > CDE is out of fashion and on its way out, then
> perhaps its value isn't what it
> > used to be; and that would allow the burden of
> legacy support to gradually
> > become self-support.  On the other, were it
> opened, there are a number of
> > enhancements that would be fairly easy to add;
> documented functions to do
> > some of the things that are private between
> dtstyle and dtwm/dtsession (via
> > libDtSvc, typically), that would allow various
> useful functionalities.  I have
> > a utility I wrote that allows one to issue dtwm f.
> commands from the command
> > line; most useful is a dtwm reset for those cases
> that one might want it in a script,
> > such as after editing dtwm-related resources; it
> doesn't use undocumented functions,
> > but rather does the same X operations as they do;
> or like a command that fetches
> > and resets the screen saver list from the command
> line.  Another thing that might
> > be possible were it open is to allow full-screen
> JPG per-workspace backgrounds
> > to be properly integrated (can be achieved now
> outside of dtstyle by retrieving the windowid of the
> backdrop window and using something like xloadimage
> that can be
> > given a windowid).  Anyway, there's clearly lots
> of potential for improvement too.
> > I do notice that Motif-based apps _still_ seem to
> be 'way smaller and faster than
> > GNOME-based apps at this time.  Now perhaps, the
> corporate types want to
> > invest in improving GNOME, and I certainly don't
> have a problem with that.  But
> > as long as legacy apps exist (and we all know they
> never _all_ go away), there will
> > be those few that favor the CDE environment.
> There may not be enough to justify
> > corporate spending for ongoing enhancements, yet
> still enough to support a community
> > that would be able to get it done themselves if
> they had the opportunity.
> Do you really think that anything will happen here?
> It is not the
> first time that someone begs for making Solaris CDE
> opensource or at
> least accessible under NDA to allow customers/users
> do fixes and
> improvements. For example Roland Mainz requested it
> multiple times,
> backed by our university which was willing to
> sponsor a project with
> both money, resources and personal (Roland Mainz,
> Tanja Pradetch, me
> and three students, AFAIK more people than Sun
> currently uses to
> maintain both CDE and Motif in Solaris). So far no
> [...]

Hello,

I would be interested in wondering why not shift to
GNOME/JDS since it seems where Sun is investing its
time today. I did my own requesting about CDE in which
at the time (3 years ago) CDE 2.1 was in question for
Solaris 8/9 integration. I was told JDS was the
corporate future and replacement for CDE.

I'd like to see some heavy duty work done to support
GNOME 2.12 on OpenSolaris over CDE. If you took a look
at GNOME 2.12, KDE 3.4.2, Windows Vista/XP,and Mac OS
X then I'd think users want something a bit more out
of their desktop environments. Would spending
resources on CDE (the ones natively installed on Sol
8-10) give them that same experience as the other
modern desktops?!? Would training developers and users
on CDE be worth it in the long run?! Maybe, maybe
not..

~Ken Mays @ Earthlink, Inc.