James Carlson wrote:

Eric Boutilier writes:
Debian, Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, and DSL being Debian based, means that the Debian architecture is massively ubiquitous and (I think) growing at a rapid pace.

True.

Of course, despite their popularity, these distros' common way of handling the dependency and the path problem might truly be a very bad thing that should not be duplicated as you assert. But weighing the magnitude of their aggregate popularity vs. your argument, I for one remain unconvinced.

That's fine by me.  I just would like to see the answer (whatever it
is) come from a very careful look at the requirements and the
resulting constraints, rather than just assuming that the feature is
good because some particular crowd has adopted it as their solution.

It isn't "good" or "bad" because it's on Debian or because large
number of people endorse it.  It's good only if it solves problems we
want to solve and doesn't create new problems that we cannot tolerate
and cannot solve.

+1 on all counts.

Eric