Bill Rushmore wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Laura Ramsey wrote:

This is amazing on *several* levels:

1--We're on the radar ...but why? That's what's so amazing.
2--Ron H. is mistaken--he thinks OpenSolaris is a linux-based community...another amazing thing--he didn't even LOOK at the community, before he proclaimed it a "fork"

So what Mr Hovsepian is really saying is that he wishes Solaris was still closed source so he could claim supporiority over Solaris. Because all he had was that Solaris was closed and Suse was open. But now OpenSolaris is actually more open than Suse at this point. Novell can only make money off of Suse in the area of support and services, but Sun has that, hardware, and other Software to profit off of with OpenSolaris. And all of this isn't dependant upon outside interests. So it is no wonder they see Sun as a big threat to them.

It should be obvious that Novell has perceived Sun to be competitor since they brought SuSE. It is only a couple of months since OpenSolaris was laucnhed, they launched their equivalent as I have mentioned it then, http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/gheet/20050810

There is no doubt though they are putting in lots of efforts in the desktop areas, lots of good stuff there to be fair, SuSE is probably one that has invested significantly in the core desktop than most Open Source companies.

-Ghee

Bill
rushmores.net