Philip Brown wrote:

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 03:35:52AM +0200, Robert Milkowski wrote:
Saturday, April 15, 2006, 2:27:45 AM, PB writes...

PB> Basically, blastwave packages are set up to be binary distributions, not
PB> developer distributions.
PB> If you want to compile other stuff against our packages, you are encouraged
PB> to become a maintainer and add to the collection, using our nice clean
PB> build servers ;-)

Sorry, internal software only.

fair enough...

[...]

What if I want to compile our own software linked with Solaris OpenSSL
(to get Niagara HW acceleration for example) and linked with other
open source libraries provided by Blastwave? What if then these
libraries depend on openssl provided by Blastwave... and things get
messy here.

That does indeed get messy.But the thing is... in a way, this is sun's
fault :-) it should provide patches to openssl to enable niagra
acceleration, and then blastwave can use those patches, and then blastwave
ssl will have that acceleration too.

Well, I'd put it this way instead:

"In a way this _was_ (not is) Sun's fault."

Reason being, most of Solaris is developed in the open now.

(BTW, I also think you fixated on the example here, instead of discussing the actual point being made.)

Eric

[really, it should give the patches to openssl.org. but barring that,
it would be nice to see a patch set just posted somewhere, like
 opensolaris.org]