Eric Boutilier wrote:
ken mays wrote:

The other is having a tool like apt-get in which you
can install software from a CD/DVD archive set of from
a remote mirrored FTP site...

+1. (That can not be overemphasized if you ask me.)

I'll just point out, for those of you who haven't read my 28 pages of installation strategy[1], that this is something we absolutely intend to do.

I'm not sure Nexenta's implementation is the way to go though. It seems to me that Phil's pkg-get -- being designed around Sun's implementation of the SVr4 packaging standard -- seems like the better candidate, or maybe something new based on the patch software (that is currently used for updating Solaris)...

We'd welcome discussion and work on any of these alternatives over in the Install and Packaging community. Well, perhaps not the patch alternative, at least not at this time - the patch technology is just sooo fragile...

Dave

[1] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/announcements/#2006-03-23_solaris_installation_strategy_review