On Monday 07 August 2006 10:54 pm, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> What about POSIX and the Single UNIX Spec why aren't they good enough ?
>
> Solaris already has multiple personalities:
>       /usr/bin
>       /usr/xpg4/
>       /usr/xpg5/
>       /usr/xpg6/

No, I'm not opposed to that at all.

> Unfortunately /usr/sfw was a bad implementation of what really should
> have been noticed to be the GNU personality just like the xpg ones,
> ie
>       /usr/gnu/

And therein lies a problem, that it does exist today, and /usr/gnu doesn't.
I'm not saying it shouldn't, just that it doesn't today.

> I'm actually starting to think that Nexenta's /usr/sun isn't that bad an
> idea and maybe even Solaris should have that.  That would mean that I
> could do things like this:
>
>       PATH=/usr/sun/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/bin

Well, Erast mentioned to me recentely of discussion to provide a way of
changing the personality to either a GNU or Sun/SysV style, and I quite like
that idea. This would fit in with the branding of zones, IMO, and if I recall
correctly it is something that Tim Marsland used to talk about in that regard
(at least I remember talking to him about it).

> That would mean that on Nexenta and on Solaris I would always prefer
> the 'Solaris/Sun' version of a tool over the GNU one then what ever
> is in /usr/bin.

Maybe, depends on software you might be running, IMO.;-) IOW, I think this
would work both ways.

Xen compounds the possibilities.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems