[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> The fact that GNU tools extensively document non-POSIX options, pople=
>> tend to write non-portable scripts as a result.
>
> Yep, I tried to configure a recent mplayer its configure has now
> deteriorated to requiring GNU grep (grep -q, what does that mean?)

grep -q is a bad example, since it's a POSIX option that Solaris grep
doesn't implement, but should.   (There's an open bug for it as part
of the series of "Solaris /usr/bin utilities should implement all
POSIX options that they can without breaking compatibility" bugs.)

It's used for scripts to get an exit status from grep without grep
printing output (i.e. a more efficient version of "grep > /dev/null 2>&1").

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]