On Nov 30, 2007 3:02 AM, Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Mahan wrote:
>
> > I look forward to the discussion this is going to generate, namely: can Sun
> > do the same to OpenSolaris, and if not, why not, what's preventing them. I'm
> > looking for sound legal reasons, not Sun's goodwill.
>

> I know nothing about OpenDS, and I bet very few here are involved
> either. This is an OpenSolaris forum. Sun has already demonstrated its
> "good will" by opening /this/ project and enabling /these/ engineers to
> interact with /this/ community. We will be judged by what /we/ do with
> that freedom, not Sun. Why can't we stick to OpenSolaris community and
> development issues rather than getting sucked into corporate politics?

Because Sun continually forces their corporate politics on every
community they are involved with whether we like it or not?

> Don't we have enough of our own problems to deal with? When we blow
> these things up and make them big company things we lose sight of the
> fact that we -- as individuals in this community -- are actually the
> ones who have to solve our own problems. Not Sun. By focusing on Sun, we
> will continually miss the opportunity to fix all the small problems that
> lead to the big ones.

It's hard not to focus on Sun when their management team's inability
to clearly communicate both inside and outside of their company
continues to make the communities they participate in look like
nothing more than a "pr move" and leads to decisions that cause unrest
and tension within our community and others.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall