Shawn Walker wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 3:02 AM, Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Chris Mahan wrote:
>>
>>> I look forward to the discussion this is going to generate, namely: can Sun
>>> do the same to OpenSolaris, and if not, why not, what's preventing them. I'm
>>> looking for sound legal reasons, not Sun's goodwill.
>>
>> I know nothing about OpenDS, and I bet very few here are involved
>> either. This is an OpenSolaris forum. Sun has already demonstrated its
>> "good will" by opening /this/ project and enabling /these/ engineers to
>> interact with /this/ community. We will be judged by what /we/ do with
>> that freedom, not Sun. Why can't we stick to OpenSolaris community and
>> development issues rather than getting sucked into corporate politics?
>
> Because Sun continually forces their corporate politics on every
> community they are involved with whether we like it or not?

You can focus on corporate politics or you can focus on communicating
with the other developers and doing stuff here in the community. I see
many things happening in the community that should give us hope that we
are making progress. Why is it so hard to talk about that rather than
get distracted with politics?

>> Don't we have enough of our own problems to deal with? When we blow
>> these things up and make them big company things we lose sight of the
>> fact that we -- as individuals in this community -- are actually the
>> ones who have to solve our own problems. Not Sun. By focusing on Sun, we
>> will continually miss the opportunity to fix all the small problems that
>> lead to the big ones.
>
> It's hard not to focus on Sun when their management team's inability
> to clearly communicate both inside and outside of their company
> continues to make the communities they participate in look like
> nothing more than a "pr move" and leads to decisions that cause unrest
> and tension within our community and others.

If this is a PR move it's a really expensive one and all the wrong
people are involved. Also, I spent a decade in PR and I can assure you
this is no PR move. PR moves tightly control messages, whereas Sun's
open source projects have blown up messaging big time. You just argued
that we can't communicate clearly. Are you arguing for a more tightly
controlled message so everything is all consistent and in order? If so,
that makes open source community conversation difficult at best. We are
communicating quite directly right now. That would be impossible if this
were a PR move.

Jim
--
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris