On Nov 30, 2007, at 15:28, Shawn Walker wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 9:25 AM, Simon Phipps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 30, 2007, at 15:18, Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>>> I often hear the excuse that "we're still learning" -- but some
>>> things
>>> are plain ole' "common sense."
>>
>> Sadly "common sense" isn't that common, nor is there universal
>> agreement what it means.
>
> *Opens mouth, inserts foot*

:-)

> I expected that response when I said that :)
>
> However, I guess my perspective is wildly different having started in
> software development with open source projects and then going to work
> for a company to develop proprietary ones.
>
> I've spent so many years participating in open source projects that I
> guess I can't see certain things as being anything other than
> "logical."

And this is indeed the root of some of the problem I have helping Sun
transition to open source. There are plenty of staff (at all levels)
with none of the instincts needed for effective community
participation. Helping them make the transition is the hardest part
of my job, and a slow process. There's no "community manager"
appointment on earth than can help (say) a director learn what his/
her job means in this new context. Some days I wish I had already
switched to being a pro photographer...

S.