Yes, the copy appears to be completed, but I have *not* done a thorough check
(e.g. file by file compare) to verify that.  Some of the file metadata (owner,
group, permissions, etc.) is not set.  I don't recall what I noticed, but I did
not check thoroughly anyway.  It wasn't right, I didn't dig.

I disabled ACLs on the Linux file system and the cp -rp completed without
error, including everything.  I don't use ACLs anyway at this time.  They
seemed like a powerful capability, but I have never used them.  So I will stop
enabling them.  user, groups with per-user groups and set-GID on directories to
inherit groups do everything I need.

Thank you to everyone for all of your help.  Now if only I could get a PCI IDE
controller to work so I could have more than four devices and leverage ZFS's
LVM-like capabilities... (another thread, insights welcome).

--Ray