On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:08:19 PST
UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I got the
> > gist of what you said: SPARC is overpriced for what
> > it does.  x86 is the saner option. What is
> > your opinion on Sun's x86 offerings ( esp the Sun
> > Ultra 20M2 ) ?
>
> Sun is currently playing this gimmick where the base price is really good,
> but that same base configuration is useless, and Sun knows it. Then, as soon
> as one starts getting the second disk drive ($360 per 500GB drive? You've GOT
> to be kidding me!) or more memory ($360, what are those RAM chips made of,
> Titanium?) the price goes through the roof.
>
> Would you want to do business with a company playing these kinds of games?
>
> As far as Ultra20 M2 is concerned, it's a desktop PC. And you already know
> what I think about desktops.

<rant>
I don't own any Sun hardware, but recently did a bit of shopping and
noticed this as well.  Looks like they're trying to "emulate" Dell, a
company which I loathe, and needless to say, I decided to pass on the
Sun hardware.  Don't recall such games being played last time I looked
a year or two ago.  Base systems were priced attractively
and surprisingly well fleshed out - for base systems.  It was also
surprising to learn that even if I purchase new Sun hardware with
Solaris 10, I still must pay for support subscription on top of that to
get patch updates.  wtf are these marketing people thinking?  Are
customers really this desperate to use Solaris?  I know I'm not.
</rant>

 --
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson