a b writes:
> > That's why it has that click-through license agreement, and why you
> > can't just wget it.  The problem isn't just a technical bit of
> > stupidity that can be fixed by application of clue.
>

> Sorry, but that is not logical at all. Either that, or I miserably failed at
> grasping the logic:

You're applying logic to a legal restriction.  It won't work.

> And why would anybody bother to "redistribute" 3.5GB worth of stuff that is
> already available gratis from Sun?

Who cares?  The legal requirements for Sun to redistribute those
binaries include licensing to users.  That's what the site is about.
You don't get that with a simple anonymous download.

One of the OpenSolaris members sent me private email suggesting using
username+password (probably in the clear) with wget.  That'd probably
work, though it doesn't match what SDC currently does, and I'm no
lawyer (and can't evaluate whether it's "sufficient").

And the folks participating here aren't in the same management group
as the SDC people.  Not that you care, but that does make a big
difference in who can actually do something about it.

I think the number one priority should be getting rid of the
contention-producing bits (CDE and such), and not trying to optimize
an unfortunate situation.  Once that's done, we'll have a
redistributable binary that can be put anywhere.