a b writes:
> However, login data can be completely bogus.  And like Glenn, I've worked in
> the security industry for a number of years and know better than to give out
> valid data to some web site run by marketing goons, out there on the big bad
> Internet.
>
> Security 101, no?

Sure.  But this isn't security.  It's legal.  The two have little or
nothing to do with each other.

If you want to become a lawyer, knock yourself out.  But don't expect
that common sense, logic, or practices from other fields will make you
one.  I'm no lawyer, either.  I just ask their advice, and follow it
as best I can, and I'd recommend that others (at least those whose
main goal in professional life isn't understanding the law) do
likewise.

> So forcing people to go through a click-through agreements is in my opinion
> pure and utter nonsense. An appropriate license could be stuck on the
> product, and buh-bye!

If you were a lawyer, you'd know that any terms or conditions added
after the point in time when the contract is formed are invalid.  You
can't add an "oh, by the way, you can't do X, Y, and Z" after the
fact, so the key question is precisely *when* the contract is formed.
Basic contract law 101 covers this.  (Which, unfortunately, I _have_
studied.  :-<)

I'm not going to bother posting on this thread again, as I don't think
it's going anywhere useful, but I'll leave you with this: law is a
separate discipline.  Just like any discipline, the practices have an
internal logic of their own, but will almost certainly look odd or
even "wrong" to those outside the profession.  If you try to use some
other discipline's rules to evaluate that logic, you'll just drive
yourself mad.