Fredrich Maney wrote:
> I would submit that in the desktop realm, you would be correct.
> However, in my experience in the server realm, custom builds are
> pretty common. For example, until very recently (like the last 2
> years), I've rarely seen anyone run the Sun provided BIND, Sendmail or
> Apache daemons on production servers and most have made significant
> changes to what was installed and where it went. Partly that is due to
> fact that most (corporate) servers are required to meet corporate
> standard builds that span operating systems and OS versions. It is
> also due to the fact that many servers are still (rightly in my mind)
> built with minimized configurations that do not include most of the
> fluff needed to run the latest gee-whiz GUI based management tools - I
> should not have to run a web server and java just so that I can use
> SMC to manage a DNS or mail server.

First of all, with OpenSolaris 2008.x, I think you'll see far more
software packaged, and secondly, far more of it will be up-to-date.

Second, given the prevalence of support contract attach rates from
vendors such as Sun, RedHat, SuSE, and others, it's easy to conclude
that even in the server market, pre-packaged binaries are the norm for
most of the base operating system.

Finally, I stand by my comments that most users don't care about being
able to recompile vendor software (as that would imply it is no longer
supported by the vendor once they do so).

Regardless, this is now way off-topic.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker