Dave Miner wrote:
> We're not going to do that in the installer, as it's a question too
> subtle for explanation there, and it isn't something that is absolutely
> necessary to get the system up and running.  For OpenSolaris, we've
> chosen the default which makes the most sense for the most users, just
> as with every other default.  The solution here is to fix the utilities.

What is the strategy to "fix the utilities"? Will the GNU utilities be
modified to be supersets of their Solaris counterparts? What is the strategy
for the cases where the default behavior is different between the Solaris
version and the GNU version (and/or when the GNU version is non-POSIX by
default, by design) like "tar" and "make"?

What is the plan for the default path in Solaris 11? Will it be like Solaris
10 or OpenSolaris? Because, I think there are a lot of OpenSolaris users
like me who would like to see as much compatibility between OpenSolaris and
whatever ends up in Solaris 11, as much as possible. In particular, the
defaults for OpenSolaris and Solaris 11 should be the same, at the very
least (and, AFAICT, that means they have to be the same as in Solaris 10, if
I understand the compatibility guarantee).

Regards,
Brian