Brian Smith wrote:
> Dave Miner wrote:
>> We're not going to do that in the installer, as it's a question too
>> subtle for explanation there, and it isn't something that is absolutely
>> necessary to get the system up and running.  For OpenSolaris, we've
>> chosen the default which makes the most sense for the most users, just
>> as with every other default.  The solution here is to fix the utilities.
>
> What is the strategy to "fix the utilities"? Will the GNU utilities be
> modified to be supersets of their Solaris counterparts? What is the strategy
> for the cases where the default behavior is different between the Solaris
> version and the GNU version (and/or when the GNU version is non-POSIX by
> default, by design) like "tar" and "make"?

My opinion is that the GNU utilities should be modified, with
modifications fed back upstream, so that we get maximum leverage going
forward.  Maintaining separate versions is a cost that Sun is unlikely
to be able to continue to justify long-term.  But it's only my opinion,
not a decision.

> What is the plan for the default path in Solaris 11? Will it be like Solaris
> 10 or OpenSolaris? Because, I think there are a lot of OpenSolaris users
> like me who would like to see as much compatibility between OpenSolaris and
> whatever ends up in Solaris 11, as much as possible. In particular, the
> defaults for OpenSolaris and Solaris 11 should be the same, at the very
> least (and, AFAICT, that means they have to be the same as in Solaris 10, if
> I understand the compatibility guarantee).

Past compatibility guarantees certainly do not require that things such
as a default user PATH value must be carried forward to subsequent
releases; the binary compatibility offered with Solaris has always been
much narrower than that.  We've not yet made (and I won't make here,
because it's not my place to do so) any statements about what
compatibility there will be between OpenSolaris and any other product,
including a hypothetical Solaris 11.

Dave