On 11/08/2009, at 9:23 AM, Uros Nedic wrote:

I hope before you stop releasing SXCE you'll provide all
tools to build OpenSolaris from source code on OpenSolaris platform.

As far as I know today is very hard to build OpenSolaris distribution
on OpenSolaris even if we have closed binaries included. We still need
SXCE to do it.

Part of what is being planned is ensuring that consolidations can natively create IPS packages, so a lot of the heavy lifting that has been on in the past (using the solaris.py script from the IPS gate) won't be necessary. However, folks have been building ON on OpenSolaris for a while now -

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/building_on/

Hopefully Liane can fill in some of the details here.

Obviously frustrations or suggestions for how to improve things are welcome.

Glynn