On 11/08/2009, at 10:51 AM, Boyd Adamson wrote:

No doubt there will be a number of queries from those of us still currently using SXCE. For me the two big missing features in OpenSolaris are:

- Sparse root zones (more for the immutability of OS-critical filesystems than for space reasons)
- A non-AI based SPARC installer

Any plans on either of those features?

Both are being worked on. I don't know yet about the timelines for sparse root zones (though it's been discussed that ZFS dedup might be the logical answer here), but I'm hoping a text based interactive installer will be available for 2010.02 which will be for both SPARC and x86.

You can read about the plans for the text based installer here -

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/caiman/TextInstallerProject/

Glynn