This is nothing new. SXCE was planned for EOL for quite some time (i.e. three
years since I heard about Indiana at least) but I guess we are hearing the
"nail in the
coffin" announcement. Tools like the Distribution Constructor and IPS will
become more important as distro providers get to learn about what they can pull
from IPS repositories for "value add" to their own distros.

What is interesting is that a lot of work gets shifted over to the IPS
repository
as people build packages..the core OS is wrapped and packaged in a nice
official product release with value added software with yearly support.

~ Ken Mays