Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> Could Xorg be built to handle a particular list of loadable (separate)
> community-supported
> drivers, so that those could be added without replacing Xorg itself?  That
> wouldn't be perfect,
> but it would be a lot better than nothing.

Xorg has no problem loading new drivers at runtime, without
recompiling.   When using PCI vendor id to autoselect a driver,
you'll need an xorg.conf to tell Xorg which driver to load when
it's not in the builtin list.  For SPARC, where /dev/fb mapping
is mainly used for selecting a fb driver, you can either provide
an xorg.conf or name the driver such that it matches the automatic
pattern matching for kernel driver name (reported by constype) to
Xorg driver name.

Martin's previous work required replacing the X server because of
other changes which he hasn't requested integrating into the Xorg
server sources either at X.Org upstream or OpenSolaris.   I don't
know how many of those are still relevant in the current Xorg server.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com