Jensen Lee wrote:
> Let me understand Alan, why in 25 years of computing I never had this problem
> before. Windoze supports old hardware,

Windows 7:   Requires at least 1Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM, Video card
 capable of "DirectX 9"

MacOS "Snow Leopard": only supports Intel Macs - no longer supports
their previous PowerPC Macs, sold until 2006.

> Now I chose a very expensive platform, let say the Rolls Royce of
> workstations, 10 years on they decide to stop selling leaded fuel, only green
> one. Do you think Rolls Royce would tell me my expensive car would no longer
> run because the fuel standard has changed or would they make it run with the
> new fuel? I have a 1998 Pentium II laptop that runs the latest versions of
> both WinXP and Linux!

WinXP?   That is hardly the latest Windows - I doubt that machine runs Vista
or Windows 7.   You'll be able to run Solaris 10 for many years to come on
your workstation - that would be similar to running XP on your ancient laptop
forever.

> 1) open the 3D Labs drivers in Europe where software patents even if existing
> are not enforceable, someone in Europe could pick up the work

Who said anything about software patents?  Copyright & contract
law are enforceable in Europe, but frankly, European law is irrelevant,
since the contract is between two US-based companies, and is thus
governed by US law, and would result in lawsuits in US court if we
decided to break it.

> 2) include a binary package of both drivers (already available I believe) and
> Xsun, installable on OpenSolaris Sparc.

The binary package of the drivers is available on opensolaris.org.
As already noted, we cannot make the current Xsun available for
separate download due to other license issues in Xsun itself.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com