Anon Y Mous wrote:
SMF is already filled up with so much stuff that at a certain point, it starts
to become overwhelming from a sysadmin persective just to parse through the
output of svcs -a and now the goal is to add even more stuff to it by getting
rid of scripting during package installation and offloading all of that stuff
to SMF as well! Jeepers creepers this is going to be tough to admin!

SysV packages had shell scripts in them, or at least I think they did, but then
again I'm no UNIX expert.
That's a valid complaint, and I don't think the answer is set in stone yet - that is, theres still room for ideas as to where to implement such functionality. SVR4 packages did indeed allow (arbitrary) shells scripts, both pre- and post-install (and pre- and post-remove). This is a useful function, and discussions on it and related topics belong over in install-disc...@opensolaris.org

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support