Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> writes:

> That info from your linux client `mount' cmd may tell whats wrong
> here.  Mine has one extra item in there:
>
>   OSOL_SERVER:/pub on /pub type
>   nfs (rw,users,addr=192.168.0.29,vers=4,clientaddr=192.168.0.2)
>
> Notice the `vers=4' so apparently my linux client is taking a share
> that is being offered as nfs=vers3, but trying to mount it as vers4.
>
> Mathias P. asked me that very question, and I wasn't sure how to find
> out.  I think this may at least show its happening.

Haaa, I may have solved my problem.  Turns out to be some very sloppy
work on my part.

All this time I've been setting:

/etc/default/nfs:
  NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=3

When I guess I should have been setting:

  NFS_SERVER_VERSMAX=3
(and that was commented out)

I think I may have gotten a bit confused there. Now I'm telling the
server only to offer version=3.  And guess what?  The client users on
linux host can now read/write with there own uid:gid.

Man, I'm really sorry to the list for all my huffing and puffing when
I'm pretty sure I had been claiming I had the right settings in
/etc/default/nfs (but didn't).