On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
<solar...@nedharvey.com>wrote:

> Again, as in my other posts in this thread, it's false.
>
> Yes, you can buy solaris for x86 hardware.  I know because I buy it with
> Dell servers.
>
> It is possible for them to ship solaris with a different license via the
> website, or via purchased with a non-Sun server.  So perhaps the one on the
> website available for free download might have this restriction in it.  But
> the one that ships with a Dell server certainly doesn't.

I applaud your commitment to Sun/Oracle.  It might very well be possible to
purchase a contract for Solaris from Dell.  That does not change the fact,
however, that the license agreement has changed, without warning, and
without notification or clarification.   It creates confusion and allows
threads like these to happen.  I understand the merger is fresh and a lot
needs to be worked out.  Communication is the key. Communicate with your
customers, ensure your sales reps have the latest information, and make sure
you customers understand what is going... or lose them.

Oracle needs to let customers know exactly what the license is for Solaris
and OpenSolaris.  Having different license's from different vendors is
ridiculous and only hurts the adoption of Solaris.