Haulyn Jason wrote:
Many things changed, we must face to these, but, can anybody tell me, how can we still believe oracle will keep opensolaris as now? Who can make sure opensolaris will not change it's own way?

is it the time to migrate from sun(now as oracle/sun) productions to linux, although I do not want to.

Frankly, while I'm not terribly happy with some of the things being slowly dribbled out (and, less so in the manner that they're happening), I think it's far too early to make such decisions now.

It's barely a month after the formal close of the merger. As someone from the inside's experience, there's still a huge amount of work to be done as to integrating Sun into Oracle, which include a massive amount of education on both sides as to how things both did and might work in the future. While I'm sure that Oracle had it's plan for what it was going to do with Sun after the acquisition, there's an old saying in the military: No Plan Survives Contact with the Enemy. I'm /very/ certain that whatever plan Oracle came in with, it's going to undergo (possibly radical) change now that the merger is actually finalized.

Go ahead and take what information they're giving you for now, and make sure you give our Sales Reps your feedback, both good and bad. That's how the /real/ decisions are going to be made. I think there is a strong possibility that there will be *several* changes in direction and policies over the coming months, as Oracle figures out what they're really doing with Sun; part of that process is Oracle figuring out how their perceived notions fit with the reality of both the marketplace and Sun's existing customer base.

Bottom line: it's very premature to bail right now. That's a huge thing to do, given that what is said today may not be the reality tomorrow. I'm not saying sit on your hands and do nothing, but certainly jumping ship at the first sign of trouble is equally foolish.

[Note: I just work here at Oracle nowadays, and I'm certainly not privy to anything that might be going on, policy-wise]

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support