+1 on the Red Hat.  Ticket had been open with RH for _months_ with reports of
'unable to replicate' type responses, in other words, playing 'tech support
tennis' passing the ball back and forth over the net just to get it out of
their side of the court w/o any real effort to resolve, before it landed in my
court.  Well, not really in my court but peripherally affecting stuff I was
responsible for.  After that problem was solved in less than a week because I
had recalled hearing of similar issue on FBSD mailing list, dug back through
the archives, confirmed problem with FBSD driver maintainer, pulled FBSD driver
code down from CVS, patched one of the problem Linux boxes to confirm solution,
and then waited around a few days whilst upstream approval before the solution
was subsequently deployed to hundreds of RH boxes in the farm.  I don't know
what happened on the RH support side after that, as I was HP-UX admin at the
time and not responsible for the Linux servers.  So yeah,
 I will take an experienced, resourceful inhouse sysadmin over 3rd party
support.  Of course this presumes that your enterprise is of sufficient size
for this to be an option, but were talking enterprise support here, so that is
pretty much a given.

No experience with Sun, so cannot comment.