> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ken Gunderson
>
> > From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> > discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
> >
> > Specifically in the case of sol10 vs osol, you pay for support, because
> > your
> > server is important to the productivity of the company.  The $400/yr
> > for
> > support is nothing compared to the salaries of all the employees.  If
> > you
> > save even 1 minute throughout the year, or reduce risk to the company's
> > assets, data, or employee productivity, then it's more costly to *not*
> > have
> > support.
>
> You seem to be operating under the delusion that a commercial support
> contracts are magic bullets

I didn't even bother reading beyond this line, because it's already so
ridiculous there's no point to continue.  I never said, hinted, or believed
that a support contract magically fixes problems.  Allow me to restate my
OP, in different words:

Every product is flawed, whether free or commercial.
* If you use a free product without support, and a problem happens, you're
on your own to fix it.  (See below.)
* If you use a commercial product without support and a problem happens,
you're even worse.  Because you don't have entitlement to updates, most
likely.
* If you use a product with a support contract, and a problem happens, then
the value you get depends on the organization providing support.  I have
found redhat support to be useless except for update entitlement; I don't
recommend them generally.  I have found solaris 10 support to be extremely
useful, and I do recommend them.

Recently (2 weeks ago) I encountered a bug in subversion 1.5.7, which is the
latest release in the 1.5 series.  I spent nearly a week emailing back and
forth with the development mailing list, asking how to compile and debug,
profile and trace the source code.  Considering I didn't pay them anything,
they were extremely nice and helpful to me.  But considering the loss of my
time, and other peoples' time, I regret having not purchased a support
contract.  I shouldn't be digging through subversion source code, that I'm
totally unfamiliar with.  A subversion developer should do that.