On 08/14/10 08:45 AM, Paul Gress wrote:
On 08/13/10 03:45 PM, Petros Koutoupis wrote:
As much as I am disappointed with the end result of this whole OpenSolaris
drama, I still cannot find myself to agree with the above excerpt. Oracle works
heavily with Linux. In fact they are sponsoring Chris Mason's development of
the GPL'd Btrfs file system. They also developed and GPL'd the OCFS. This is on
top of other lesser known management tools which all are focused toward their
Red Hat based Unbreakable Linux distribution (and in some cases outside of
that).

While all of this never defined them as an open source company, they seem to
spend a lot of time and money contributing back to the community. What the real
reason(s) for not wanting to work with OpenSolaris are....this answer we may
never figure out.

I also agree with Petros. Oracle was only looking to gain control of Opensolaris. It looks to me, they tried balancing their goals with somewhat of the Opensolaris community goals in that they said they will release development binary snapshots called Solaris 11 Express and source, at an unspecified interval.

If the memo is to be believed, the source will follow "full releases of our enterprise Solaris operating system" how ever far apart they are.

--
Ian.