Case in point:

At my previous company, I recommended that we purchase Sun-related products and
services.  I am now looking at how to replace a number of OpenSolaris boxes
with something else.  So far Oracle's actions do not inspire trust in me; I see
only risk in continuing to associate with their products.

It's too bad; I had really jumped on the OpenSolaris bandwagon, too.  I was
pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to do ordinarily very complicated
system administration functions.  When people asked what we were using for an
OS and I replied, "OpenSolaris", they were stunned.  They didn't know Solaris
even still [i]existed[/i], never mind was gaining adoption.  The fact that I
rarely had to even perform system administration tasks made it all that more
palatable.  I was truly proud of what I put together; now I am dismantling it
in sadness.

Employees will make recommendations based on what their they know.  The freedom
to examine ARC cases, source code, etc., as upcoming releases were taking shape
educated me about the platform.  As I've lost that source of education, I can
no longer make recommendations about the platform, nor will I invest any more
of my personal time in examining this project now dead to the needs of its
consumers.

Farewell, OpenSolaris!  Long Live OpenSolaris!