On 8/15/2010 4:13 PM, Jonathan Edwards wrote:
Nexenta Systems initiated, Illumos Project continues
its effort...

http://www.illumos.org

"""A community maintained derivative of the
OpenSolaris ON source,
including open source replacements for closed bits,
and additional
changes."""

All companies who were working with
OpenSolaris/Solaris are invited to
join this movement and liberate OpenSolaris.
but how do we liberate the source from the CDDL?
that still seems like it could be a bit of a problem
if the original license steward (Sun =>  Oracle) decides
to change the terms of the license, and/or if the
larger community does not trust or approve of the
actions taken by the license steward ..

IIRC, (and, IANAL), it doesn't matter. Files under the CDDL stay under the CDDL - there's no ability to go back and "retroactively" change the license. In that respect, it's like other OpenSource licenses. The "liberated" code that's over on the IllumOS project can stay and be developed under the current CDDL, with no change in license required (or mandated). Oracle can't "yank back" or relicense the existing code. Of course, like the vanilla GPL, should you make code available under CDDL version X, then it can also be distributed under CDDL version X+N.

That said, it is of course possible for Oracle to change the license on the code *they* make available. Remember, they own the original copyright on practically all the Solaris code, so they can make it available under any license they want. So, it is possible that Oracle would change the license to be one incompatible with the CDDL of the IllumOS project, in which case *new* code coming from Oracle would not be put into IllumOS.

Oh, and a side remark - I think it would make a bit more of a pronounceable name if we used "IlluminOS" (note the extra "in"). Also, the word is cool and appropriate.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=illuminos

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support