> And I don't think it's openssl's fault.

Yes, it apparently is... Compile foo(){} with cc -S and note that
compiler add some .def ... .endef line, but not perlasm thing which is
reponsible for assembler code generation.

> I'm going
> to ask some linker experts...

Ask about this .def ... .endef line. Any documentation available
on-line?

> > Did it ever work? Assembler support in cygwin-shared build that is? BN
>
> I can't tell.  I never saw that problem before and in 0.9.6h all tests
> pass.

0.9.6h doesn't provide assembler support for Cygwin. A.