The purpose of the CreateToolhelp32Snapshot function is to permit
walking data structures that are constantly changing by creating a
read-only copy that will not change.  The returned HANDLE points to a
unique snapshot.  Walking the contents of the data structures in this
snapshot is thread safe.
Has anyone else faced such RAND_poll() related crash before ?
Yes.

Where was it then? Point is that if above (with snapshot being read-only copy) held true, then we wouldn't have this discussion, would we? Or at least switching to TH32CS_SNAPPROCESS wouldn't make difference... I see no other option then to assume that either snapshot is not really a snapshot or CreateToolhelp32Snapshot itself is not thread-safe.

Is there anyway I can bypass that RAND_poll() call (as described in
the last paragraph of
http://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-dev@openssl.org/msg18900.html).
Your application can all RAND_add() and provide an alternate source of
random data.  If there is sufficient random data available, RAND_poll()
will not be called.

I can't see how prior RAND_add would prevent RAND_poll from being invoked... At least not in HEAD or 0.9.8... A.