Kenneth Schneider schrieb:
> True, if you want a less secure OS use MS windows. If you want a more
> secure OS use linux
>
>> If a home user does not want to type the root-password each time he is
>> installing a program, then this is his choice.
>
> Then just login as root all the time.
>
> Again, linux is not MS windows and should -not- be made to act like it.

Why do we need these Windows-Linux comparisons? Superuser capabilities
are a genuine UNIX feature. There is nothing "MS Windows-like" in having
an option to grant users certain permissions.

It shouldn't be the default, of course, but nobody seriously proposes
insecure defaults. sudo exists anyway, so I fail to see the point why
having such an option in the software updater can be a problem.

Educating people how to manage their systems is out of scope in this
discussion IMHO. If someone wants to grant permissions, he will do it
anyway, does it really matter if it's the classical UNIX tool named sudo
or a built-in feature of the software updater?

Andreas Hanke