On Wednesday 02 February 2011 19:50:24 Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Helen <postmodernhousew...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> I personally have mixed feelings about this - the fact that OBS has
> >> openSUSE in its name helps to get the openSUSE name 'out there' as its
> >> use becomes more popular, but I agree that there is a strong
> >> implication for users that it is only for openSUSE. The other reasons
> >> raised by Gumb are also valid ones.
> >
> > OBS is the beating heart of openSUSE, I don't see any problem in
> > having 'openSUSE' on a platform as OBS.
>
> Agreed

I personally don't see it as a big issue directly - the only issue with it is
that people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there to "Build
openSUSE Software". The discussions and chats I've had at several conferences
including the latest LCA clearly brought that forward and I think those of you
who've been at conferences have heard the same sentiments. Now the scope of
the Build Service is much wider than that and this misconception is hurting at
least some of our uptake. The marketing team is fighting this perception all
the time.

The brand is currently usually abbreviated as OBS - and known (in writing)
like that. MeeGo actually calls it 'open build service' already, as do many
other people. I wouldn't argue yet that 'open build service' is already the
de-facto name, but it's going in that direction.

So there is a reason to rename it: do something about a misconception which is
hurting uptake.
Reasons not to do it:
1 we diminish the link between openSUSE and OBS
2 we loose some brand value due to the repositioning

On 1, I don't see this as a real issue as OBS is and will be principally
developed by openSUSE - and as I wrote before, the culture of 'credit where
credit is due' in FOSS protects us in this regard as well.
2 is really minimal - OBS is the name most known and won't change; moreover
many people already call it open build service (or even just 'the build
service' which is actually really good for us I would say - saying OBS is the
de-facto standard build service).

Hence I believe the reason to do it eclipses the reasons not to do it.

On the facebook thing, I doubt our number likes on facebook for openSUSE have
much if anything to do with uptake of OBS. Not to say we shouldn't try to
increase that number...

> [...]
> The openSUSE Build Service hosts 17,298 projects, with 115,652
> packages, in 28,949 repositories and is used by 26,656 confirmed
> users.
> ==
>
> I find those pretty impressive numbers.  I hope the name stays where
> it is with that proven level of success. (Remember, that's effectively
> 26,656 developers / contributors, because OBS is not used by typical
> end users.)
>
> One thing that is not shown and may not be known is the number of
> private instances of the OBS are running out there.  Maybe the number
> of appliance downloads per release could be added to the above stats.
>
> > Ubuntu: 328275 likes on facebook
> > openSUSE: 2779 likes on facebook
> >
> > If I was a developer to launch an application, I would probably choose
> > launchad/ubuntu because I knew before hand that Ubuntu would enable a
> > higher potential user base for my application. This is simple common
> > sense.
>
> OBS can build/publish for ubuntu.  I suspect that is why some want to
> change the name.
>
> > In a very simple way we are in the content distribution world, we
> > distribute contents in the form of software. It's a service, it aims
> > for people, that's the very own minimum denominator here. So we should
> > actually look into a way of becoming more attractive to users and
> > investors, and a strategy for that can be delievering a higher number
> > of contents.
>
> In a real sense, OBS is already very successful and getting more so.
>
> > For example... Ubuntu plays this well... from a simple package, they
> > create like 7/8 sub-packages, then they have over 32K packages as they
> > advertise (look at a screenshot of their Software Center and how they
> > explore this concept to brutalize users perception). Users who have
> > done some packaging or developed something, they know this is a fairy
> > tale and a 'marketing move', but for those without tech skills, they
> > might believe it's the best choice due to the ammount of packages
> > available, eventhough the largest part of them are futile for end
> > users... And when they eventually might realize it, they have already
> > a loyalty bond with Ubuntu and won't swap.
>
> Are you suggesting openSUSE start advertizing 115,652 packages, in
> 28,949 repositories on the openSUSE Build Service!
>
> As you say, it is highly misleading if one is really talking about why
> choose openSUSE 11.4 vs. ubuntu.
>
> OTOH, for a lot of developers, it is highly relevant to see OBS has so
> much participation.
>
> > I believe on this at least... without a strong user base, we might not
> > become attractive enough for developers to use OBS to distribute their
> > software, because our user base isn't large enough. Maybe what
> > developers love is probably that everyone picks their software and use
> > it? Maybe that's the missing link.
>
> That reads as if you assume OBS is not successful.  I feel the opposite.

Indeed. It is popular but could be more so ;-)

BTW we also need to do more in the area of USING those huge numbers. For
marketing but also community building purposes. How could we get the tens of
thousands who use OBS to contribute to openSUSE? After all, they're VERY close
to openSUSE already - it's just pushing a few buttons to submit their packages
to factory or request merges with existing packages to fix bugs.