On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:57:02 Adrian Schröter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, 22:31:18 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:20:00 Nelson Marques wrote:
> > > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Jos Poortvliet
> > > <jospoortvl...@gmail.com>

> > > If people see it that way, maybe it's marketing failure? As you state
> > > and I quote:
> > >
> > > «hat people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there to
> > > "Buil openSUSE Software".»
> > >
> > > This only points failure on marketing practices, marketing efforts are
> > > failing in passing the message, but in reality, it's not actually far
> > > from the reality. OBS plays it's role, it enables all the contents
> > > distributed in openSUSE Linux distribution.
> >
> > Yes, it is failing marketing: choosing a wrong name, duh. openSUSE Build
> > Service as a name quite strongly suggests that it's for openSUSE... And
> > that is the problem. Surely OBS does that, but it does more - and the
> > name doesn't support that. It IS a marketing failure.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, at LCA I attended a talk by a Red Hat developer
> > about KOJI. It's Red Hat's/Fedora's build service. It's massively worse
> > than OBS - you CAN build packages for other distro's but it's quite
> > hard. The whole thing is much harder to use, can't cross-compile for
> > other platforms and has to run on your own machine. Still, many people
> > were interested in it. And part of that is because the name doesn't
> > signal any distro-specificity.
>
> Just my 2cent on this:
>
> * I think when using the just the term "OBS" more strictly and avoiding the
>   full name, the problem would reduce a lot.

Well, ppl always want to know what it means - and "open (or openSUSE) build
service" is a good start of an explanation. So I don't think this will really
solve the issue.

> * A rename should always consider the available DNS domains ;)

hehehe yes, that is true... But doesn't openbuildservice.org already redirect
to build.opensuse.org? Seems like we could go for that name then... Yes?

> * OBS as term itself is actually less import for the end users. They just
> see the result. A reason why the "PPA" term from ubuntu is so intrusive.

True, for end-users the whole thing is very different. But this was mostly
prompted by the issue with explaining this to packagers and other more
technical people...

>   IMHO we need to finished this feature ASAP:
>
>     https://features.opensuse.org/310109
>
>   and we need to find a cool and marketing-able name for (similar to
> 1-click- install). This would reach way more people (in best case also
> some non openSUSE users) and we have the chance in the second step to
> educate them also better about OBS. We will grow afterwards.
>
>   This feature just waits for a web developer since a longer time creating
> a good proposal. The pure coding part will be realtive minimal, I think.

Awesome idea for sure, and yes, it needs a good marketing name :D

> Have fun on FOSDEM

Thanks. We'll miss you...