Am Mittwoch, 2. Februar 2011, 22:31:18 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:20:00 Nelson Marques wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvl...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > > I personally don't see it as a big issue directly - the only issue
> > > with
> > > it is that people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is
> > > there
> > > to "Build openSUSE Software".
> >
> > If people see it that way, maybe it's marketing failure? As you state
> > and I quote:
> >
> > «hat people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there to
> > "Buil openSUSE Software".»
> >
> > This only points failure on marketing practices, marketing efforts are
> > failing in passing the message, but in reality, it's not actually far
> > from the reality. OBS plays it's role, it enables all the contents
> > distributed in openSUSE Linux distribution.
>
> Yes, it is failing marketing: choosing a wrong name, duh. openSUSE Build
> Service as a name quite strongly suggests that it's for openSUSE... And that
> is the problem. Surely OBS does that, but it does more - and the name
> doesn't support that. It IS a marketing failure.
>
> Interestingly enough, at LCA I attended a talk by a Red Hat developer about
> KOJI. It's Red Hat's/Fedora's build service. It's massively worse than OBS -
> you CAN build packages for other distro's but it's quite hard. The whole
> thing is much harder to use, can't cross-compile for other platforms and
> has to run on your own machine. Still, many people were interested in it.
> And part of that is because the name doesn't signal any distro-specificity.

Just my 2cent on this:

* I think when using the just the term "OBS" more strictly and avoiding the
  full name, the problem would reduce a lot.

* A rename should always consider the available DNS domains ;)

* OBS as term itself is actually less import for the end users. They just see
  the result. A reason why the "PPA" term from ubuntu is so intrusive.

  IMHO we need to finished this feature ASAP:

    https://features.opensuse.org/310109

  and we need to find a cool and marketing-able name for (similar to 1-click-
  install). This would reach way more people (in best case also some non
  openSUSE users) and we have the chance in the second step to educate them
  also better about OBS. We will grow afterwards.

  This feature just waits for a web developer since a longer time creating a
  good proposal. The pure coding part will be realtive minimal, I think.

Have fun on FOSDEM
adrian

--
Adrian Schroeter