On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 17:29 +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> Jos,
>
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 12:02:04PM +0100, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 February 2011 10:55:01 Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > > One of them (Kurt Garloff) made actually a suggestion some month ago to
> > > rename it to "OBS Build Service". This is in the tradition of the Gnu
> > > tools and also rpm (RedHat Package Manager -> rpm package manager) is a
> > > good example. It also strength the "OBS" term itself IMHO.
> > >
> > > I personally like this suggestion and would slightly prefer it to
> > > open-build- service (but I have no strong opinion here). But you may want
> > > to discuss it on FOSDEM.
> >
> > Hmmm, it does indeed fit in the Unux tradition. Then again, that tradition
> > is
> > a bit outdated these days - pretty much nobody does use recursive acronyms
> > anymore. But you're right, it's an option.
>
> Well, openSUSE Build Service is currently several things:
> 1. The software that does the builds
> 2. The service that we host
>
> My proposal was to name #1 OBS = OBS Build Server (with people
> associating the O with openSUSE or just open being intended).

I think that adds more confusion or rather persists the existing
confusion.  Some of us are already referring to it as "open" rather than
"openSUSE."  And people are going to ask what an acronym stands for.
Such ambiguity already contributes to a variety of confusion on several
fronts in the Project.

> #2 would continue to have the name openSUSE Build Service until
> the openSUSE project decides otherwise .

Well, I think that's precisely what we're doing here.  Though we're just
a segment of the overall Project, we're discussing and making a proposal
here that we hope the overall Project agrees with.