On Wednesday 02 February 2011 22:20:00 Nelson Marques wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I personally don't see it as a big issue directly - the only issue with
> > it is that people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there
> > to "Build openSUSE Software".
>
> If people see it that way, maybe it's marketing failure? As you state
> and I quote:
>
> «hat people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there to
> "Buil openSUSE Software".»
>
> This only points failure on marketing practices, marketing efforts are
> failing in passing the message, but in reality, it's not actually far
> from the reality. OBS plays it's role, it enables all the contents
> distributed in openSUSE Linux distribution.

Yes, it is failing marketing: choosing a wrong name, duh. openSUSE Build
Service as a name quite strongly suggests that it's for openSUSE... And that
is the problem. Surely OBS does that, but it does more - and the name doesn't
support that. It IS a marketing failure.

Interestingly enough, at LCA I attended a talk by a Red Hat developer about
KOJI. It's Red Hat's/Fedora's build service. It's massively worse than OBS -
you CAN build packages for other distro's but it's quite hard. The whole thing
is much harder to use, can't cross-compile for other platforms and has to run
on your own machine. Still, many people were interested in it. And part of
that is because the name doesn't signal any distro-specificity.