On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 02 February 2011 19:50:24 Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marq...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

> If people see it that way, maybe it's marketing failure? As you state
> and I quote:
>
> «hat people clearly assume the "openSUSE Build Service" is there to
> "Buil openSUSE Software".»
>
> This only points failure on marketing practices, marketing efforts are
> failing in passing the message, but in reality, it's not actually far
> from the reality. OBS plays it's role, it enables all the contents
> distributed in openSUSE Linux distribution.

> Once more, this could indicate severe marketing strategy failure.
> Careful with such statements.
>
> The reason to rebrand and reposition a well established service is
> based on an hypothetical marketing failure?

If it's a case of stringent adherence to Marketing principles and
theory, then perhaps these principles need to be attended to at a much
earlier stage of product development. Because at this stage Marketing
is being presented with a fully fledged, named and branded product
which we are then, like an advertising company, asked to promote,
flaws and all.  But really Marketing should be involved at all stages
of product development to ensure that we can successfully market the
product.  At what point did the Marketing team and OBS representatives
have a round table and decide on the optimal branding for the build
service? Is there an IRC log on that?

If any rebranding is EVER going to be done, it needs to be done now,
before things go any further, and if not, then we need a clear
strategy for ensuring its broader application is more easily promoted
(eg, a logo which emphasises BUILD SERVICE).

Regarding the suggestion that it's up to the OBS people to decide:
they should certainly have some solid input, but as an integral part
of the openSUSE project, it is not solely up to them.

Who do we have on the team who has qualifications and experience in
marketing and advertising? I assume from your comments that you have
some formal experience in this area, Nelson? Who else?

best,

Helen